Bacup is known as one the best preserved Mill Towns in England but over the years and through lack of investment and social difficulties was, as the Council expressed “in a state of spiraling decline”. With this in mind in 2012 the Council applied for a Townscape Heritage Initiative Grant which would be funded by Heritage Lottery Funding.
In 2013 the Council discovered they were successful and a Grant was awarded of £1.9 million for the renovation of the Town Centre. The project would involve the refurbishment of key / landmark buildings including the Pioneer Building, the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank (Grade II listed) and the REAL Building (a 1930’s art deco building) and the entire street No 3 – 33 St James Street. The buildings would be refurbished with a view to restoring historic detail and working in close junction with the Council’s Conservation Officer. At September 2016 the first Phase is complete, the restoration of the 1914 Edwardian Arcade (the Pioneer Building) and No 33 St James Street. Phase 2 is due to commence on site in February 2017.
This large manor house, originally a public house, is at the heart of Holcombe Village originally built in the early C18 and is an imposing two storey stone manor house with attic rooms and dormers. Formed in coursed rubble with ashlar features to windows and doors and stone slate roof covering. This fine house has been empty for some years but is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment in conjunction with the Client and Conservation Officer.
This project involved the conversion and extension of a Grade II listed 18th century farmhouse in the idyllic setting of Greenmount Golf Club, near the Clubhouse and overlooking the First Tee. The existing cottage and attached barn were totally dilapidated and have been restored upgrading stonework, windows and roof working closely with the Conservation Officer and Client to form a modern interior.
The original linked barn was demolished, apart from the front wall which subsequently formed part of the contemporary extension on the east side to form a superior lounge at ground level and extensive Master Bedroom at First Floor.
The juxtaposition of the new and old is articulated by the use of contemporary glazing so the historic and new are easily distinguished but both form part of a holistic approach and solution.